Saturday, July 21, 2007

Whining in the Rain

I like rain as much as the next person. Okay, I'll even go as far as to say I like it better than the next person, and the one after that, too.

But one of the things that makes me appreciate it so much is the lack of it (normally) during the summer. I start whining in May, and spend all of June, July, August and September kvetching about the sun and the brightness and skin cancer. It's my summer hobby, if you will.

Since we haven't had summer yet, except for a few days here and there, I have nothing to complain about, sun-wise. Looks like summer is going to go right into winter, and as much as I love winter, I also love the changing of the seasons. So I'm a little bummed out.

Maybe it's getting to me more this year as I sometimes sell at the Sunday Market. And it has rained damn near every Sunday, which is terrible for business.

Not that it matters ... the market is a fiasco, anyway. There are way too many vendors, and the aisles are full of non-shoppers coming out to show off their kids and dogs. Every year the dogs get smaller, the kids get bigger and more obnoxious, and they both get louder and more annoying.

Looks like rain yet again this Sunday, and I reserved tomorrow's spot at the market a couple of weeks ago. I can't think of anything I'd rather do less. Hell, I remember when the market used to be fun, rain or shine.

And I am in the unlikely, actually unheard of position of wanting some sun.

8 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey, were we separated at birth?

Elleda Wilson said...

Who knows? All I do know at the moment (7 a.m.) is that it's going to be a GRIM Sunday Market, indeed! Argh! I'd skip it all together, but since I requested a spot, if I don't show up, I'll get blackballed. So I'll grit my teeth and gird my loin and get on with it.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Care to share what you're selling there?

Auntie said...

Anna - Guy is shamelessly going to lurk at the market to see if he can spot you if you give him this info !!!! LOL

Welcome to the 'hood' and thanks for the link - I returned the favor at my place. And you do sort of resemble my beloved Guy. Plus you have instantly won the way to his heart by mentioning the whole 'dogs at the sunday market' shit. He no doubt totally dug that!

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, now you insult me. I'm no stalker. Respect your Pappy or you'll be going out to the woodshed for a switch.

Auntie said...

Promises that you have yet to fulfill, Pappy ! LOL

I didnt call you a 'stalker' but a lurker. Lurkers are more innocuous and I would rather be lurked than stalked anyday, wouldnt you?

Undercover Mother said...

Hey! Will you two get a room?

Anna--If I can't rub my non-Oregonian relatives face in our beautiful summer weather whilst they bubble and boil in 100-plus territory, where's the fun? And honestly, there hasn't been much to brag about--though I'd never trade their weather for a little balmy rain.

Just not so many bragging rights. Just sayin'.

Elleda Wilson said...

Nah, rather not share what I sell, sorry Guy.

Regardless, selling ANYTHING in rain soup is a challenge and a half, but it coulda been worse.

Even the dogs had more sense than to come out.

Thanks Auntie.

And Mom, I like your approach. I'd forgotten how much I loathe hot weather!