Friday, July 27, 2007

Sharks!

Shark Week's 20th anniversary starts July 29, and there are all kinds of programs about sharks planned on the Discovery Channel, including a documentary about what is considered the worst shark attack ever, after the sinking of the USS Indianapolis during World War II. As I recall, that incident is mentioned in one of the best shark movies, ever, "Jaws."

Although I am fascinated by sharks, my own personal experience with them is rather limited. I've seen and caught small sand sharks (dogfish), and marveled at their sandpapery skin and beautiful lines before throwing them back.

I've only seen one fin pop up in the water, and it was a large sand shark that was probably very lost. A totally non-aggressive type of shark, it had probably followed a school of bluefish into the waters where I saw it.

The local fishermen were all out of the immediate area in their boats, so the only person available to "defend the town" was a local gardener, Galliano. He loped down the lawn towards the water, yelling about the "gotta-damma fish," hopped into a dory with his gun, and putt-putted out to the offending fin. Then he took pot-shots at the poor thing, screaming at it in Italian the whole time. Galliano probably scared the bejesus out of the shark, and I hope it made it back into the deeper waters unscathed.

It was certainly the most excitement the gardener had seen since the last time my dog dug up and pissed on his dahlias. I suspect Galliano's dying words words, gasped on his last breath, included "that gotta-damma dog!"

The only other close-up shark experience I had was with a huge dead tiger shark that floated into a small bay. It was completely in the wrong waters, and no one could imagine how it wound up where it did. Although it had decomposed enough to smell totally gawd-awful, it was still in beautiful condition, and its size and teeth were very impressive. I have never heard of another shark of that type or size appearing in that area, alive or dead.

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by sharks. Maybe it's their cold indifference. Or maybe it's their beautiful, functional lines. Or maybe it's because they are a primeval vestige from ages past. Whatever the reason, I know I'll be glued to the Discovery channel next week.

6 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

A week of shows about lawyers?

Elleda Wilson said...

Oh my, what an insult to sharks! The worst shark on its worst day could never be as cold-blooded as a lawyer.

Undercover Mother said...

Sharks are what cats were, before they crawled out of the sea and evolved.

And at least a shark kills for hunger, guy!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

http://shark-bite.com/book.html

Elleda Wilson said...

Anon ... Kenny Doudt was indeed an amazing survivor and local legend.